Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Travelling as a Mensch

It's one thing to be a mensch "at home" and another thing to be a mensch while exploring the world. Recently, Missy Stein, our 6th grade language arts teacher, shared the following excerpt from a student's journal. It describes his travels to Costa Rica over Passover Break. What is particularly moving is the strong sense of empathy he has not only for his fellow human being, but for all of creation. 


Finally, during the trip, I tried many new foods such as grouper and mahi mahi. When I ate the grouper, it was a different feeling than any other fish. This is because I actually saw the grouper being cut and I saw its guts and gills being taken out. Also, one of the days, the power went out for a short period of time which allowed us to experience how some of the impoverished Costa Ricans live everyday. I learned that we take many necessities for granted and that there are some people who do not have electricity daily. To conclude, this trip was not only exciting and entertaining, but it was also a trip where I learned to appreciate how lucky I truly am to live in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment